If you’re searching for the best car insurance in Maine, worry less because Maine has cheap car insurance if you shop well. Maine has lower car insurance rates than most states. Best car insurance companies in Maine consider so many factors before giving out their insurance.
Who Has The Cheapest Car Insurance In Maine?
It may be challenging to find a good deal of cheap car insurance in Maine. Car insurance rates in Maine change from one insurance company to another. Insurance costs vary depending on many factors like age, driving records, where you live, the type of car, and many more. The following are some of the lowest rates best car insurance in Maine.
Cheapest car insurance for 20-year-old
20-year-old drivers with clean records can get cheap insurance from the following:
- Geico – $1,165 per year
- State Farm – $1,235 per year
- Allstate – $1,289 per year
- State Farm – $1,345 per year
- Concord Group – $1,397 per year
- Countryway – $1,442 per year
For the 20-year-old drivers with minimum coverage in Maine. These cheap car insurances can be best for them:
- Geico – $413 per year
- Erie – $457 per year
- Concord Group – $524 per year
- Allstate – $578 per year
- Countryway – $645 per year
The following insurers are good for the 20-year-old drivers with poor credit in Maine. They have the lowest average rates for minimum coverage:
- Geico – $715 per year
- State Farm – $789 per year
- Allstate – $892 per year
- Concord Group – $987 per year
- Countryway – $1,124 per year
- Safeco – $1,197 per year
- Progressive – $1,316 per year
20-year-old drivers with a recent accident in Maine, the following are the insurance companies with the lowest average rates for minimum coverage:
- Geico – $534 per year
- State Farm – $625 per year
- Progressive – $768 per year
- Concord Group – $890 per year
- Countryway – $975 per year
- Erie – $1,086 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $1,145 per year
Cheapest auto insurance for 20-year-old drivers after a DUI in Maine
The cheapest car insurance after a DUI for a 20-year-old driver are as follows:
- Geico – $722 per year
- Allstate – $794 per year
- Countryway– $856 per year
- Safeco – $972 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $1,078 per year
- Progressive – $1,145 per year
- Concord Group – $1,198 per year
Cheapest car insurance for 30-year-old drivers in Maine
Drivers in their 30s can get lower insurance rates in Maine when they shop around and take advantage of the car insurance discounts. At the age of 30s, drivers enjoy cheaper insurance compared to those at the age of 20s. However, some factors like their driving records and the car makers can increase the insurance prices.
30-year-old drivers in Maine with clean records can get low rates from the following companies:
- Geico – $592 per year
- State Farm – $651 per year
- Concord Group – $745 per year
- Progressive – $795 per year
- Countryway – $836 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $892 per year
- Erie – $974 per year
Cheapest minimum coverage for 30-year-old drivers in Maine
- Geico – $254 per year
- Progressive – $326 per year
- Concord Group – $389 per year
- Countryway – $428 per year
- Allstate – $492 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $554 per year
- State Farm – $617 per year
30-year-old drivers with poor credit can get cheap coverage from the following cheap car insurance in Maine.
- Geico – $850 per year
- Concord Group – $903 per year
- Safeco – $978 per year
- Countryway -$1,062 per year
- MMG – $1,155 per year
- Progressive – $1,197 per year
- Allstate – $1,235 per year
Cheapest for 30-year-old drivers with one at-fault crash in Maine
For 30-year-old drivers in Maine with a recent accident, here are the cheapest rate options for full coverage:
- Geico – $842 per year
- Safeco – $934 per year
- Concord Group – $995 per year
- State Farm – $1,075 per year
- MMG – $1,147 per year
- Countryway – $1,219 per year
- Progressive – $1,285 per year
Cheapest car insurance for 30-year-old drivers after a DUI in Maine
For the cheap auto insurance after a DUI, we found the following options for full coverage.
- Vermont Mutual – $875 per year
- Geico – $956 per year
- Countryway – $1,089 per year
- State Farm – $1,154 per year
- Concord Group – $1,276 per year
- Progressive -$1,355 per year
- Erie – $1,415 per year
Cheapest for 40-year-old drivers in Maine
Drivers lucky to get lower insurance premiums in their 40s than their younger counterparts, but they cost more than older age groups on average. For lower rates of insurances in Maine, the 40 years need to shop around. Good drivers may consider pay-per-mile insurance that charges drivers by the number of miles they have driven.
Cheapest full coverage in Maine for 40-year-olds
40-year-old drivers in Maine with clean driving records may choose from the following companies with the lowest average rates:
- Geico – $587 per year
- Progressive – $652 per year
- Concord Group – $723 per year
- Erie – $796 per year
- MetLife – $859 per year
- Countryway – $912 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $987 per year
Cheapest minimum coverage in Maine for 40-year-olds
For drivers in Maine who want just the minimum coverage can check insurance prices from these companies, which had the lowest average rates:
- Geico – $156 per year
- Concord Group – $245 per year
- Allstate – $297 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $354 per year
- Progressive – $428 per year
- MetLife – $516 per year
- Countryway – $579 per year
Cheapest coverage for 40-year-old drivers with poor credit in Maine
Maine drivers with poor credit can get the lowest average rates for full coverage from the following insurers.
- Geico – $892 per year
- State Farm – $957 per year
- Concord Group – $1,076 per year
- Progressive – $1,159 per year
- Countryway – $1,226 per year
- MMG – $1,285 per year
- Safeco – $1,345 per year
Cheapest insurance for 40-year-old drivers with one at-fault crash in Maine
For 40-year-old drivers in Maine with a recent accident, here are the companies with the lowest average rates for full coverage:
- Geico – $895 per year
- Concord Group – $972 per year
- Safeco – $1,056 per year
- Progressive – $1,153 per year
- Countryway – $1,227 per year
- MMG – $1,296 per year
- State Farm – $1,324 per year
Cheapest insurance for 40-year-old drivers after a DUI in Maine
The lowest rates for full coverage car insurance we found for drivers with a DUI came from the following companies.
- Vermont Mutual – $1,079 per year
- Erie – $1,156 per year
- Concord Group – $1,284 per year
- Geico – $1,275 per year
- State Farm – $1,356 per year
- Countryway – $1,425 per year
- Progressive – $1,497 per year
Cheapest for 50-year-old drivers in Maine
Drivers in their 50s have the cheapest car insurance rates than the 40s, 30s, and 20s. As they gain more driving experience and continue to grow old, their insurance prices drop. Rates will be vary depending on other factors such as a driver’s gender and location, so it’s smart to shop around to find the best and cheap insurance rates. The list below contains the best cheap car insurance companies.
Cheapest full coverage in Maine for 50-year-olds
50-year-old drivers in Maine with clean driving records may want to get quotes from these insurers, which had the lowest average rates:
- Geico – $514 per year
- Allstate – $578 per year
- Concord Group – $624 per year
- State Farm – $678 per year
- MetLife – $756 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $798 per year
- Countryway – $812 per year
Cheapest minimum coverage in Maine for 50-year-olds
Drivers in Maine who choose for the state minimum coverage may want to consider the following insurance companies. The following have the lowest average rates:
- Geico – $195 per year
- Allstate – $245 per year
- Concord Group – $297 per year
- Safeco – $348 per year
- MetLife – $425 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $497 per year
- Countryway – $543 per year
Cheapest coverage for 50-year-old drivers with poor credit in Maine
Drivers in Maine with poor credit can check with the following companies, which showed the lowest average rates for full coverage:
- Geico – $735 per year
- Concord Group – $792 per year
- Safeco – $847 per year
- Countryway – $925 per year
- MMG – $987 per year
- Allstate – $1,065 per year
- Electric Insurance – $1,148per year
Cheapest insurance for 50-year-old drivers with one at-fault crash in Maine
For 50-year-old drivers in Maine with a recent accident, here are the insurers with the lowest average full coverage rates:
- Geico – $875 per year
- MMG – $935 per year
- Progressive – $997 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $1,075 per year
- Concord Group – $1,158 per year
- Erie – $1,236 per year
- State Farm – $1,279 per year
Cheapest insurance for 50-year-old drivers after a DUI in Maine
The cheapest car insurance for drivers with a recent DUI comes from the following companies with full coverage rates.
- Vermont Mutual – $760 per year
- Geico – $835 per year
- Progressive – $945 per year
- State Farm – $987 per year
- Concord Group – $1,065 per year
- Allstate – $1,156 per year
- Countryway – $1,214 per year
Cheapest for 65-year-old drivers in Maine
The 65-year-old have cheaper car insurance rates than many other age groups. The prices start to increase on average as they get older. Driver in the mid-60s should get cheap insurance for the seniors by shopping around to find the best rates that suit them. They should also run for any insurance discounts if available for the senior citizens in Maine.
Cheapest full coverage in Maine for 65-year-olds
65-year-old drivers in Maine with clean driving records may want to think about getting quotes from these companies, which had the lowest average rates:
- Geico – $520 per year
- Concord Group – $587 per year
- Allstate – $632 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $695 per year
- MetLife – $744 per year
- Safeco – $798 per year
- Countryway – $851 per year
Cheapest minimum coverage in Maine for 65-year-olds
For drivers in Maine who want just the state minimum coverage may want to check with these insurers, which had the lowest average rates:
- Geico – $195 per year
- Concord Group – $245 per year
- Allstate – $297 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $325 per year
- Countryway – $372 per year
- State Farm – $436 per year
- MetLife – $497 per year
Cheapest coverage for 65-year-olds with poor credit in Maine
65-year-old drivers in Maine with poor credit can look at the following companies with the lowest average rates for full coverage:
- Geico – $792 per year
- Concord Group – $856 per year
- State Farm – $978 per year
- Countryway – $1,075 per year
- MMG – $1,147 per year
- Progressive – $1,198 per year
- Electric Insurance – $1,225 per year
Cheapest for 65-year-old drivers with one at-fault crash in Maine
For drivers in Maine with a recent accident, here are the companies with the lowest average rates for full coverage:
- Geico – $875 per year
- Concord Group – $952 per year
- Allstate – $1,065 per year
- State Farm – $1,178 per year
- MMG – $1,225 per year
- Vermont Mutual – $1,256 per year
- Safeco – $1,298 per year
Cheapest insurance for 65-year-old drivers after a DUI in Maine
The lowest rates for auto insurance after a DUI with average rates for full coverage is from the following companies;
- Vermont Mutual – $810 per year
- Progressive – $887 per year
- State Farm – $1,065 per year
- Concord Group – $1,112 per year
- Geico – $1,155 per year
- Allstate – $1,198 per year
- Countryway – $1,242 per year
Cheapest for military families
The USAA is among the cheapest auto insurance company for those drivers at the age of 40. The USAA in Maine is for the active military and their families. It is not general to the public and thus not ranked with the other insurance companies.
Who Has The Best Car Insurance In Maine?
Before settling for the best car insurance in Maine, you have to consider so many factors. Some of these factors are motor rating, customer service, affordability, and coverage.
Best Maine Car Insurance Providers
Geico Auto Insurance in Maine
Geico auto insurance in Maine is the best insurance company in Maine because of its coverage, affordable car insurance rates, and positive reviews from industry experts. Rental car reimbursement, roadside assistance, and mechanical breakdown from Geico insurance company along with standard coverage. It also has good student discounts, multi-policy discounts, and military discounts for Maine car insurance policies. For good drivers who are accident-free, Geico insurance company offers them 28% for five years.
Advantages of Geico auto car insurance:
- The insurance is available in 50 states.
- Geico auto car insurance provides a high level of customer satisfaction.
- If you need variety for coverage, you can get from Geico auto insurance in Maine.
Progressive Car Insurance in Maine
The progressive car insurance in Maine offers reasonable premiums and a large variety of coverage. In addition to standard coverage, they give roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, lease-off payoff, customer parts, and equipment coverage. The progressive car insurance wrote over 31 billion premiums in 2018 as from the experts. The usage-based snapshot program allows you to pay for auto insurance in Maine based on how long and how much you drive. With the great technology, progressive car insurance has the name your price tool.
Advantages of Progressive car insurance:
- This auto insurance in Maine is the best choice for high-risk drivers.
- Auto insurance in Maine has money-saving features.
- The progressive auto insurance has the A+ financial strength rating from the AM Best.
Disadvantages of Progressive car insurance:
- The progressive car insurance has mixed customer reviews.
- It has the average claim process.
USAA Car Insurance in Maine
This type of car insurance is available exclusively for the military, veterans, and their families. You can get roadside assistance, accident forgiveness, glass coverage gap insurance, car replacement assistance, and rental reimbursement with the USAA auto car insurance. You can save on Maine car insurance by getting the safe drivers discount, multi-vehicle discount, and up to 20% off when you keep your vehicle on base. The USAA was also rated by the BBB and AM best.
Advantages of the USAA auto insurance:
- The USSAA auto insurance gives affordable rates and numerous discounts.
- It is the best option for the military and the young drivers.
- It has a superior financial rating from the experts.
- It is available everywhere in the nation.
- The insurance is only available for military veterans and their families.
State Farm Auto Insurance Best for Maine Student Drivers
This auto insurance in Maine is favorable for student drivers. It offers student drivers a variety of discounts like the steer-clear program that encourages drivers who are 25 years old and below. There’s also the standout Drive Safe & Save program that monitors your driving habits via an app to help you save on car insurance. State farm auto insurance has you protected for high liability coverage limits. It also includes rental and travel expense coverage, rideshare coverage, and road assistance.
Advantages of State Farm auto insurance:
- Has positive customer reviews
- Its online quotes process is easy to calculate
- Provides an extensive selection of discounts
- The state farm auto insurance has comprehensive coverage offerings.
- Positive ratings from the experts
- Reported errors with autopay
Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance Best for Maine Teens
The discounts available for teens and military personnel make Liberty Mutual auto insurance a great choice. The company has good reviews by auto insurance industry experts like the BBB and AM Best. Multi-car discount and safety features like anti-theft systems and airbags are ways to save your car. You can also qualify for discounts depending on your alumni and professional connections.
Advantages of Liberty mutual auto insurance:
- Comprehensive coverage options
- The average amount of customer complaints.
- Strong financial company
- Low ID power scores
- High premium in some states
Best Car Insurance Companies In ME
- Geico car insurance
In Maine, Geico is the best car insurance in Maine. It provides all the significant packages; cost, customer service, and financial strength, and many more. Geico charges a monthly rate of $54 that is below the average of Maine. Roughly 29% below the progressive insurance that is its competitor. It is ranked best by the experts and also has the most feature-rich and user-friendly mobile app. The app ensures you have been attended to quickly regardless of time. The app also has a high rating in google play store and Appstore. It is the best and has a recorded track in customer service and financial records. The only thing that is pulling Geico down is the lack of GAP insurance.
- Progressive car insurance
Progressive car insurance Maine standards out to be a budget-friendly insurer, but Geico still tops. It gives a $70 offer a month and specializes in high-risk drivers. It is an automatic choice for new or young motorists and drivers with poor records of driving. According to the experts, the insurer holds its financial strength, decent customer service record, and cool features according to experts ranking. Using the cool features, Maine drivers can use the name your price tool to pay for the coverage they need.
- Travelers car insurance
Just like Geico and progressive, travelers offer low-cost car insurance in Maine. It gives an average monthly premium of $82. The insurer also has a great smartphone app, earns the highest possible rating from experts, and shines in the financial strength department. Its customer service record is not up to rank. If you are willing to get cheap car insurance in Maine, then travelers are for you.
- Amica mutual: Best for customer service
Amica mutual is best when it comes to good customer service in Maine. Amica notched up a perfect score in overall satisfaction in Maine and was the only player. It offers several built-in perks that other auto insurance companies in Maine do not match. For example, the insurer offers free lock replacement in case your keys get stolen or lost. Amica Mutual also offers several discounts, from loyalty and good driver discounts to multiple auto and homeownership discounts. For top-notch service, be ready to pay a premium price.
The Best for Military: USAA
The USAA stands out in both price and service. It has positive ratings and good customer service. Its financial strength is also on top and offers a suite of financial and banking services, in addition to auto insurance in Maine. That makes it the best choice for buyers who like to bundle services from one provider. USAA promises to ease your troubles in the event of a crash by handling your claim as quickly as possible. With all the great packages, USAA is only for the military and their families.
Average Cost Of Auto Insurance In Maine
The average cost of car insurance in Maine is about $954 per year or $79 per month. Depending on your location, driving history, age, and credit score. Rates may be significantly lower or higher than these Maine averages.
- Average Driver: $954
- DUI: $805
- Speeding Ticket: $945
- Poor Credit Score: $1,089
Maine Car Insurance Laws Requirements
When it comes to traffic accidents in Maine, insurance plays a huge role. In Maine, vehicle owners and drivers need to maintain certain types and amounts of insurance coverage. Some of the law requirements of car insurance in Maine are below.
The minimum requirements for liability car insurance in Maine are:
- Bodily injury or death of a person in an accident caused by the driver of the insured vehicle is $50000
- $100,000 for total bodily injury or death of a person in an accident caused by the owner of the insured vehicle
- $25,000 for property damage per accident caused by the driver of the insured vehicle.
In Maine, a Combined Single Limit of $125,000 in liability insurance will also satisfy Maine’s requirements for this type of coverage. Liability coverage only covers those that you injured during an accident in Maine. In case you have injuries and have no one to cover for your loss, you will need different coverage.
How To Get Cheap Car Insurance In Maine?
There are many ways to save money on car insurance for the short term in Maine. That may happen by taking advantage of the companies while you work on improving your driving records and credit rating. You can get auto insurance discounts if you bundle various policies with the same company. Other insurers give discounts to members of a defined union, organizations, or if you work in a specified company. For students who maintain good grade points on average frequently get better prices. For drivers in Maine who are willing to install their vehicles with a tracking device can get discounts from insurers. The tracking device helps in tracking behaviors of drivers like overspeeding, erratic driving, and braking. Parents in Maine whose children are away in school can get a break on rates. You can opt for higher deductibles for the amount you pay for expenses after a crash. You can consult your agent in Maine if there are any discounts legible for your vehicle when it ages and depreciates.
Is Car Insurance In Maine A No-Fault State?
Maine is a fault-car accident state.
When it comes to financial responsibility for injuries, lost income, vehicle damage, and so on, Maine follows a fault-based system. That means that the insurance for the at-fault driver is responsible for all the losses of the injured.
In Maine, a person who suffers any kind of injury or damage due to an auto accident usually can proceed in one of three ways:
- Filing a claim with their own insurance company, the injured person’s insurance company will likely turn around and pursue a subrogation claim against the at-fault driver’s carrier
- Filing a third-party claim directly with the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier
- Filing personal injury lawsuit in civil court against the at-fault driver
by filing a claim with his or her own insurance company, assuming that the loss is covered under the policy (in this situation, the injured person’s insurance company will likely turn around and pursue a subrogation claim against the at-fault driver’s carrier)
Car Insurance Rates In Maine By Credit Score
You can raise your credit score to lower your rates in Maine. Your credit score usually affects how much you pay for your car insurance. You can increase your credit score by paying bills on time, paying more than the minimum on your credit card bills per month, and spending within your means.
Some basic rates from insurance companies in Maine for state minimum insurance based on your credit score:
|Credit score||Cheapest provider||Rate for state coverage|
|Fair 580-669||American family||$1,845|
Maine Car Insurance Rates Per Vehicle
The annual average insurance rates for Maine in 2014 are $915 for full coverage, $200 for comprehensive insurance, $425 for collision, and $264 liability cost. On average, Ellsworth and Skowhegan are the highest car insurance rates, and the three most popular companies in Maine are State Farm, Progressive, and Liberty Mutual risk insurance.
Using high physical damage deductibles could cut prices by as much as $425 every year while buying higher liability limits will increase prices. Going from a 50/100 bodily injury protection limit to a 250/500 limit will increase rates by as much as $250 more per year. The make and model of vehicle you drive has a significant impact on the price you pay for car insurance in Maine. Electing to drive a cheaper and lower-performance vehicle will be cheaper to insure due to cheaper replacement costs and reduced accidents. This table shows premium estimates for the most popular vehicles insured in Maine.
|Make and Model||Premium||%to Average|
Best Car Insurance Coverage In Maine For Multiple Cars
The best car Insurance coverage in Maine for Multiple Cars is GEICO. It saves you money when you bundle multiple cars on one plan. You can save up to 28% with Geico insurance.
Best Car Insurance Companies In ME Offers Discounts
The best car insurance Maine may depend on which discounts you can get.
Allstate offers the cheapest premiums for customers that:
- Pay their premium in full
- Insure a new car
- Get good grades in school
Geico customers can cut costs if they:
- Insure multiple vehicles
- Serve in the military
- Wear their seatbelt
State Farm helps drivers save money by:
- Being accident-free for three years
- Taking a defensive driving course
- Having certain safety features on your vehicle
Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes In ME For Minimum Coverage
The cheapest auto insurance quotes in Maine for minimum coverage are;
|Company||20 years||30 years||40 years||50 years||65 years|
Cheap Car Insurance In Maine By Age
|Company||25-year-old male||25-year-old female||35-year-old male||35-year-old female||60-year-old male||60-year-old female|
The young drivers pay more than the older ones for car insurance in Maine, and a large difference in rates between companies affects the young. The driver profile for a 25-year-old male was an average rate of $680 with USAA and $635 with Geico. Both were less than half the $1,405 with Allstate and represented even greater savings than the $1,753 with Farmers. For a 25-year-old female driver profile, rates ranged from a low of $576 with Geico and $705 with USAA to $1,253 with Allstate and $1,690 with Farmers. Rates steadily decrease with increasing age, and Geico and USAA remain cheap across all ages and gender.
For a 35-year-old driver profile, the cheapest average annual rate dropped to $502 with USAA for a male and $488 for a female. Geico was the next most affordable at $574 for the male profile and $564 for the female profile. Compare that to the $1,475 study rate we found for a 35-year-old male profile with Farmers or $1,463 for a female the same age. With Allstate, an average representative cost of $1,247 for a 35-year-old male and $1,198 for a female.
USAA is the cheapest for 60-year-old driver profiles, with an average study rate of $542 for a male and $582 for a female. Geico is next, with an average rate of $504 for 60-year-old driver profiles regardless of gender. 60-year-old male profiles would pay $1,425 with Farmers on average, while their female counterparts would pay $1,316. Allstate was slightly less, averaging $1,179 for a male profile and $1,107 for a female.
Why Maine Car Insurance Rates Vary?
Economic conditions influence the rates in Maine. Residents who live in communities with high crime rates will have high insurance rates than those living in safer communities. People who live in a densely populated area in Maine are charged low on insurance costs. The make and model of vehicle you drive has a big impact on the price you pay for car insurance in Maine. Electing to drive a cheaper and lower-performance vehicle will be cheaper to insure due to cheaper replacement cost and reduced frequency of accidents.
Cheap Car Insurance In Maine After A DUI
After a DUI, the cheapest auto insurance came from the following companies with their average rates for full coverage.
- Vermont Mutual – $780 per year
- Concord Group – $952 per year
- Allstate – $1,075 per year
- Countryway – $1,154 per year
- Progressive – $1,238 per year
- Geico – $1,342 per year
- State Farm – $1,415 per year
Auto Insurance In Maine Full Coverage Cost
For full coverage, the cheapest car insurance company would be Geico, with an average cost of $985, which is 24% cheaper than the statewide average. Concord is another cheap option for a full-coverage plan with an annual cost of $1,083.
A full-coverage plan provides more coverage in case you get in an accident. Comprehensive and collision insurance coverage is always included in the package. The packages reimburse you in the event of most car accidents, thefts, natural disasters, and vandalism.
|Insurer||Annual cost||Monthly cost|
Cheap Car Insurance Companies In ME For Drivers With Bad Credit
Auto insurance companies consider credit scores for drivers to determine their likelihood to file an insurance claim. Drivers with a credit score of 700 or more are considered good credit scores and less likely to file a claim than those with lower credit scores. The average credit score for Maine residents is 715. The following are estimates for what drivers with a poor credit score will pay to auto insurance.
Because auto insurance companies do not weigh credit scores equally, your rate quote may be vastly different from insurer to insurer, particularly if you have a low credit
Maine Car Insurance Laws: New Driver Licensing Requirements
According to Maine’s Bureau of motor vehicles, all drivers have 30 days from the date of residency to obtain a Maine driver’s license. A driver over 21 years will be first issued a 1-year provisional license. Every applicant must pass a vision screening, a knowledge test, and a road skills test to hold a regular license.
Residents 15 years old must obtain a permit, which is valid for 18 months, to gain driving experience. The permit includes the following guidelines and requirements:
- The applicant must complete the vision and knowledge exams
- Complete driving course by the applicant
- An old driver with a license must accompany the applicant
- The driver must carry the permit for at least six months before applying for a regular driver’s license.
- The applicant is required to complete 35 hours of supervised driving with 5 hours of night driving.
The applicant is required to pass the road skills test to receive a driving license. Drivers under 18 who hold a license for the first 180 days may not drive between 12 am, and 5 am or carry passengers.
It evaluates an applicant’s visual acuity and peripheral vision. Visual acuity of 20/40 and field of vision of 140 degrees are required to drive without restrictions. Applicants possessing a peripheral vision of less than 140 and greater than 110 must equip their vehicle with outside left and right mirrors. Drivers with visual acuity worse than 20/50 must drive in daylight only.
The knowledge test covers traffic laws, rules, driving skills, vehicle handling, highway signs, and Maine’s drinking and driving laws.
Road Skills Test
It tests the applicant’s ability to control his/her vehicle. The test requires the applicant to:
- Back the vehicle
- Maintain proper lane control
- Turn left and right
- Drive straight ahead
- React to traffic, traffic signs, and traffic signals
Fees. The following fees apply for every applicant:
- Written test- $10
- Road skills test- $35
- Regular license, under 65 years of age- $30
- Regular license, over 65 years of age-$21
How Car Insurance Rates Are Calculated In Maine?
In Maine, many factors contribute to the prices of insurance. Below are some of the factors that car insurers consider;
- Your driving records
- How much you drive
- Marital status
- Your car’s make, model, and year
- Your credit history
- Amount of car insurance coverage (required coverage and optional add-ons, such as collision and comprehensive)
- History of drivers in your area
For insurance companies to have enough money to pay out during a claim, they disperse risk across all the policyholders.
Maine Automobile Insurance Plan (ME AIP)
You cannot take the wheel legally in Maine without auto insurance. A spotty driving record can prevent you from getting mandatory coverage. The ME AIP helps the hard drivers to get the right coverage. And every auto insurance Maine company is supposed to participate in the plan. The ME AIP assigns you a provider for three years when you ask for assistance from them. For ME AIP to assist, there are factual pieces of information that you need to provide. These are the driving license, a car registered in Maine, and two monthly records that you have been trying to purchase auto insurance the normal way with no success.
Additional Recommended Car Insurance Coverage In ME
If you have savings and assets, the car insurance coverage in ME recommends you buy more insurance than is required to legally drive a car. The more money you have, the more likely you will be sued following a car accident should your insurance be insufficient to cover all the expenses. If your net worth is:
- less than $50,000, choose at least 50/100/50
- between $50,000 and $100,000, choose at least 100/300/100
- more than $100,000, choose at least 250/500/100
If you’re leasing or financing your car, you must get coverage of 100/300/100 or higher.
Collision and Comprehensive
Collision coverage pays for damage to your car after an accident that you cause. In contrast, Comprehensive insurance pays to replace stolen cars and damages from vandalism, flooding, hail, fire, and animal strikes. If your car is:
- less than ten years old, you should strongly consider buying collision and comprehensive.
- more than ten years old, only buy collision and comprehensive if your car is worth $3,000 or more if you couldn’t afford to replace your car if it’s wrecked, or if you just want more protection on your policy.
For drivers in Maine, collision costs an average of $408 yearly, comprehensive is $80, according to CarInsurance.com rate data.
Medical Coverage (MedPay)
Medical payments coverage will help you pay for the medical or funeral expenses of covered drivers and passengers after an accident, regardless of fault, up to $25,000. MedPay does the following:
- It covers you and your passengers’ medical expenses
- Offers additional protection to insured drivers who are hit by a car while walking or biking
- Pays for expenses after health insurance limits are exceeded
If you and your passengers:
- Don’t have health insurance or have a plan that doesn’t cover car accidents or has low limits. We recommend you add medical coverage of at least $5,000 to your car insurance policy.
- Do you have health insurance? It’s still a better idea to have medical coverage if you want the best protection in your policy, as it can pay out after your health benefits are maxed out.
Suppose you don’t own your car outright and have an accident. In that case, gap insurance pays the difference between your car’s cash value and the current outstanding balance on your loan or lease.
- If you’re financing your car, your car is less than one year old, and you’ve put less than 20 percent down on it, you should buy gap insurance. If not, you don’t need gap insurance.
- If you’re leasing your car, it’s much better to buy gap insurance if you aren’t already required to in your lease agreement.
- If you own your car outright, you don’t need gap insurance.
What Are the Different Types Of Maine Auto Insurance Coverage?
Here are a few of the basic types of coverage, how they work, and what they cover in Maine.
Liability car insurance covers property damage and injury damage, which you are responsible for after a covered accident. It is a requirement in Maine.
After an accident that your car involved another vehicle in Maine, collision insurance may replace or repair your vehicle if you are covered.
For damages caused due to bad weather, accidents with animals, or vandalism, comprehensive insurance can pay. It can also provide coverage for an accident involving another vehicle.
Uninsured motorist insurance
In Maine, the uninsured motorist insurance protects you against uninsured drivers or for a hit-and-run accident.
Underinsured motorist insurance
The underinsured motorist insurance can protect you in a case of a collision with a driver whose insurance is not enough to cover your costs.
Medical payments coverage
In Maine, this type of coverage helps pay medical costs for you related to a covered accident regardless of the driver who was at fault. Medical costs after an accident can be costly, and with the medical payment coverage, everything is covered.
Personal injury protection insurance
Personal injury protection insurance may cover certain medical expenses and loss of income resulting from a covered accident. Depending on the limits of a policy, personal injury protection could cover as much as 80% of medical and other expenses stemming from a covered accident.
Gap insurance helps drivers whose car value depreciate quickly. An auto insurance settlement might not be enough to cover the cost of a loan. Gap insurance may help certain drivers cover the amount owed on a car loan after a total loss or theft.
Towing and labor insurance
The towing and labor insurance is available if you already have comprehensive car insurance. The insurance helps to pay for labor costs to repair your vehicle.
In case of an accident and your car is spoilt to a point it can’t move or be driven, rental reimbursement insurance helps pay for a rental car for you.
Classic car insurance
For the unique needs of vintage and classic car collections, classic car insurance provides specialized coverage designs.